Saturday, June 2, 2012

Circus Wagon History--Elephant Tab


Sells-Floto Circus circa 1919  From the Melvin collection


  Hagenbeck-Wallace Circus circa 1917




Wade,
   This is a professional slide that was sold in the gift shops at the Ringling Museums. This would be the same wagon you have on the top photo of your post. The last time I was there was in 2006 and this wagon was still there.
   This causes me great confusion as the elephants that were stripped off the wagon and used on the Jungleland front went to Baraboo where they re-created the wagon. So where did those elephant carvings come from? I don't know. Your guess is as good as mine.
Bob
Courtesy of Bob Cline

2 comments:

Bob Cline said...

I believe I answered that question myself later on. The Jungleland elephants came off of the Barnes elephant tab of which I have no pictures of.
Bob

Wade G. Burck said...

Bobby,
That's why I posted both comments, to illustrate to Radar "keep at it."

Wade